Chicken bread loaf combines a soft and tender sweet dough with the spicy flavor of Chicken and peppers and wraps it all up in a beautiful yet easy-to-shape braid. Great for breakfast or brunch and you can simply use it to wow the guests at a party.
Chicken bread loaf
This Chicken bread loaf combines a soft and tender sweet dough with the spicy flavor of Chicken and peppers and wraps it all up in a beautiful yet easy-to-shape braid. Great for breakfast or brunch and you can simply use it to wow the guuests at a party.
Ingredients For the Dough
- 6-1/2 Cups of Flour
- 1/2 Cup Flour reserved for kneading (You might not use it all up)
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1-1/2 Teaspoon Vitamin C ( 1 Tbsp Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 2 Tablespoons of Yeast
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 2 Eggs
For the Chicken Filling:
- 1 to 1-1/2 lb boiled boneless chicken cut into bits and pieces
- 1 Green Pepper
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Bulb of Onion
- 1 Habanero (Rodo)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (or any cooking oil of your choice)
- 1 Tsp Curry powder
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 6 tablespoons of Water
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
For the filling:
- Dice the bell peppers, Tomatoes and Onions and mince the Habanero pepper.
- Preheat the oil in a pan, add the diced Onion and stir-fry until it becomes translucent.
- Add the minced habanero pepper and grate in the ginger. Stir-fry for about a minute
- Add the bell peppers and Tomatoes and let it cook for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the chicken, the spices, and water (1/4 cup) stir and leave to cook for about 5 minutes
- Mix the water and flour together and pour into the filling. This will thicken the filling.
- Leave to simmer for a minute or two and turn off the heat.
- Leave to cool before using it to stuff your dough
For the Bread:
- In a large bowl, add the Flour, Yeast, Vitamin C Powder, Salt, Sugar and mix together until combined. Create a hole in the middle and add the Milk, Eggs and melted butter.
- Mix everything together until a soft and sticky dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a well-floured work surface and knead. Sprinkle a little flour at a time on your work surface each time the dough becomes sticky until it becomes smooth and elastic. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Coat a large bowl with some Oil or melted butter, place the dough in the bowl and coat the surface of the dough with a thin layer of Oil or butter. This will prevent the surface of the dough from forming a crust.
- Cover it with a tight-fitting lid, a plastic wrap or damp cloth and place it in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until it doubled in size. I usually place mine in the Oven with the oven light on.
- Punch down the Dough, then, transfer it to a floured work surface and divide the Dough into 4
- Roll out the dough to about a thickness of a quarter of an inch
- Put some Chicken filling at the center of the dough from top to bottom. Leaving about 2-inch space at both the top and bottom.
- Use a pizza cutter or a knife to make about 10 to 12 slits of about a quarter to a half inch wide on both sides of the dough still leaving out the 2-inch space at both the top and bottom of the dough. Make sure you have the same number of strips on both sides.
- Fold the 2 inch top dough over the filling and start to braid by crisscrossing the strips you’ve made (place one strip of dough on one side over other on the other side). Continue to braid down the dough until the loaf is formed. When you have about two more strips to go on both sides, fold the bottom part over the filling and crisscross the remaining strips over the folded dough then pinch the dough to secure it. – I am not so sure if I have been able to do justice to this explanation.🤔 Please watch the video if you are still having difficulty.
- Use the parchment paper to lift the braided loaves into the pan and leave to rise for another 30 Minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place a tray of water in the bottom rack of your Oven to steam up the oven. Please do this, it is very important!
- Place the bread in the Oven and bake between 20 to 25 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- The chicken filling can be cooked to your taste using your choice of spices.
- Try to proof your yeast first, if you are not sure if it’s active or not.
- Try not to make your filling wet. It will make your bread soggy.
- It is very important to use the parchment paper. This will make it easy to lift inside your pan after the dough has been braided. It will also prevent your bread from burning at the bottom.
Check out the Chicken Bread Loaf Video here:
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook. #afropotluck