The Nigerian Fish Roll is one of our popular street foods in Nigeria and they are easy to make. It is simply a snack made of a pastry dough which is similar to the Nigerian Meat pie and the Nigerian Chicken Pie Pastry and wrapped in a spicy Fish filling. It’s actually one of the simplest Nigerian pastry pie you can make at home.
In Nigeria, we call this small chops along with other small snacks that a person can eat in a few bites. The ingredients used for this recipe are simple ingredients yet super tasty.
These Fish rolls are then fried till golden brown and stuffed with Fish, Onions, Green Onions and a bit of cayenne pepper for some heat. Eat this as a snack and it can serve as a starter for your party as well. It’s tasty and easy to make.
Make these delicious crispy Fish rolls for your friends and family. I’m sure they will like it.
How to Make The Nigerian Fish Roll
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2-1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 4 Tbsp Margarine
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt & 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 14 ounces Mackerel
- 6-8 Tbsp Water
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 Small Onions (finely chopped)
- Cayenne Pepper (To Taste)
- Enough Oil For Frying
- In a bowl, combine the Fish with the Onion, Green Onion, and cayenne pepper, Mash and set aside.
- In another Bowl, add the Flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and margarine. Then use your finger to incorporate the margarine into the flour until it comes out crumbly.
- Crack the Egg and mix with the flour until it’s absorbed. Then add water a little at a time over the pastry until the dough comes together, becomes soft and workable.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes, then cover it up and leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/8th inch thick, then cut into small rectangles. This is subject to how big you want your Fish rolls to be. You don’t need to be perfect in cutting out the rectangles since it’s still going to be rolled out – no one will see the imperfection.
- Take each of the cut-out dough. Spoon about 1 to 1-11/2 Tablespoons of the mashed Fish inside the pastry. Then roll the dough as you would roll up a mat and secure the tips a little bit to prevent the fish from spilling into the Oil. Place the Fish Rolls on a tray until ready to fry. Repeat with the remaining pastry dough and filling.
- Preheat some vegetable oil in a deep pan. Fry a couple of Fish rolls at a time, being careful not to crowd them. Once both sides is fried till golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot, warm or cold with your favorite drink. Enjoy!
We use Mackerel Fish in Nigeria for fish rolls but Salmon or Tuna Fish will work as well.
Do not over spice the Fish because it will ruin the taste of the Fish Rolls Fish in general needs little spicing
- Serving Size: 15
- Calories: 299
Check out these other Nigerian pastry recipes: