This cake is one of my favorite plantain recipes because of how easy it is to put together. However, care should be taken because, this bread, unlike the banana bread, tends to harden up fast but the Yogurt in this recipe helps to keep it moist for a longer period of time.
It is also very versatile and you can eat it for breakfast or dessert and even mid-day snacks.
Is your Kitchen overstock with overripe Plantains? Don’t trash them, make this cake, you will be glad you did. Have fun and enjoy!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 stick Butter/Margarine 113g or 8 Tbsp
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 2 over ripe plantains
- 1/4 Cup Yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbp Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
Preheat the Oven to 350 F
Grease and Flour the Baking Pan and set aside
Combine the Flour, Salt and Baking powder and set aside
Mash or blend the Plantains
Cream together the Butter and Sugar for 2 to 3 minutes
Add the Yogurt and cream it together. Add the eggs one at a time and cream together as well.
Combine the wet ingredients together with the dry ingredient and fold a couple of times
Pour the batter into the prepared baking Pan. Smooth out the surface of the batter and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hr or till a tester or toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- I used vanilla as my flavor today. However, you can use Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Allspice or any other flavor of your choice.
- As much as you want to add a type of flavor to your cake, these flavors should compliment the cake and not overwhelm it. Therefore, add just enough flavor and don’t mask the plantain taste in your Cake.
- The riper the plantain the sweeter it is, so you may need to adjust the quantity of your sugar based on the ripeness of the Plantain
- As much as you want to make sure the plantain is well mashed, it is best to leave it thick and lumpy. Try not to puree it. You can use a hand mixer like I did, it will do the job just fine. Likewise, you can use a Potato masher or fork but I will advise against blending it.
- Don’t over mix the batter otherwise, the cake will come out tough.