Sausage bread rolls – These are light and soft bread stuffed with sausage meat. These sausage bread rolls put an elegant spin on my bread roll recipe. They are light, soft and most of all kid-friendly.They are true crowd pleasers.
The first time I came across sausage Bread rolls was at the Nigerian airport in Lagos during my last visit to Naija and I was really wowed. When I returned back to the states I did not hesitate to recreate it and I was really pleased with the outcome.
These bread rolls are a good addition to the family menu especially if you like the art of bread making – like I do. Even if you don’t like to make bread, it will also be a good thing to try it especially this season when everyone is looking around for new Christmas recipes to try.
These bread rolls are perfect for breakfast, dinner or even snack time and it will definitely create a memorable taste for you and your family.
- 2 Cups of flour (plus about a handful for kneading)
- 2 Tablespoon Melted Butter
- 1/2 Tbs Yeast
- 1 Egg + 1 more for Egg wash
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 Cup Warm Milk
- 2 Tbsp Sugar + 1 Tsp for proofing the Yeast
- 10 Hotdog links
- Dissolve the Yeast and Sugar in the warm milk
- In another Bowl, combine the Butter and Eggs and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar, make a well at the center and add the yeast and the Egg and Butter mixture and mix together until a soft dough is formed.
- Transfer the Dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until it’s smooth and elastic about 10 minutes by hand and about 7 minutes if using a mixer.
- Place the Dough inside a very large oiled Bowl (making sure you smear some oil on the surface of the Dough) and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or till doubled in size.
- Steam the sausage in a boiling water for about 7 minutes. Remove from water and set aside.
- Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces, and roll it out into a rope long enough to wrap around the sausage about 3 times.
- Wrap the rolled dough around the sausage and place them on lightly greased and floured baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk up 1 Egg and together with a Tbsp of Water and brush the surface of the Bread rolls then place in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or till golden brown. Enjoy
Watch the detailed video below:
Try to leave some spaces at both ends of the sausage while wrapping it because the dough will still rise up and cover the left out space a little bit
I like to steam or grill the sausage links before I wrap them around the dough because I want it to be thoroughly cooked.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook. #afropotluck